DOT Physical Exams
DOT Physicals are available at our medical office and our providers are on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME).
It is mandated by federal guidelines that every commercial diver passes the Department of Transportation health exam. The goal of this test is to check whether an applicant is physically capable of driving safely now and in the near future. Successfully passing the exam means you have 24 month before you need to do it again, unless you have some health problem which could become worse in the in the near term, in which case the you’ll have to take the exam sooner.
Department of Transportation Requirements
Passing the DOT physical will require:.
- Need to have 20/40 correctable vision in each eye as well as both combined. Vision correction devices such as glasses or contacts are allowed.
- Ability to distinguish color is necessary.
- Needs to be able to perceive a forced whisper at a distance of at least 5 feet.
- Maximum allowable blood pressure is 160/100. Use of prescription medication to achieve this threshold is permitted.
- An applicant can have diabetes which is controlled through diet or medication. Diabetes which is controlled though insulin injections is not premitted
- Blood sugar may not be higher than 200.
- Use of schedule 1 drugs is strictly disallowed
Why to Choose Oakton Health Center for DOT Physical Exam:
- All our doctors are DOT Certified and validated on FMCSA National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.
- The examiner makes sure your documentation is correct and that you have a valid medical card.
- The examiner will guide you reasonably and fairly through all the requirements to qualify you for a DOT medical card.
- The dot physical cost is all inclusive and fair.
- Appointments are made for the driver’s convenience – We see you on time, and save you time.
Things to Bring:
- Drivers License or Passport or State ID
- Glasses if you wear them
- Hearing aids if needed
- List of medications including dosages
- Yearly clearance from a specialist for any chronic conditions may be required
Our physicians have been trained to perform the complete DOT exam which includes:
- Review of medical history
- Measurement of height, weight, blood pressure & heart rate
- Review of lung, vision and hearing function
- Complete drug screening